Did you know that one teaspoon of sugar can depress your immune system up to 4 hours and if you think you don’t eat sugar you might want to think again!
Even if you are really astute at reading all labels and you regularly ask wait staff the ingredients in prepared and restaurant foods, you might be shocked to know there are almost two dozen names for hidden sources of sugar that food manufacturers use to disguise this ingredient! These additives will all function like sugar in your body and to your mood, energy and waistline.
Here are some common names for sugar and sugar derivatives.
Look for them when you read your labels (especially with products that make claims like “low sugar”, “no sugar” and “sugar-free”):
- Corn Starch
- Corn syrup
- High-fructose corn syrup
- Malted Barley
- Sugar Alcohols
Latest posts by Amy Fournier (see all)
- 12 Steps to Self-Care - July 28, 2017
- Maybe You’re Not Hungry…Maybe You’re Actually THIRSTY Instead! How To Know If You’re Dehydrated - July 3, 2017
- The Real Sugar/Carbohydrate Content of White and Whole Wheat Bread - June 21, 2017
- 6 “Healthy” Foods That Are Keeping You Fat - June 15, 2017
- What’s In My Travel Bag (Healthy!) - June 9, 2017