After over 30 years in the health and fitness industry and with varying degrees of success, including performing and teaching for large audiences, spots on national television and commercials, modeling and magazine covers and features, writing for publications, being a guest on radio shows and podcasts, public speaking, workshops and the host of my own podcast, what I’ve learned is that no matter how high the perceived level of the accomplishment, you can’t truly enjoy any achievement and have a sense of rest and peace in your heart.
And I’ve also learned that to have that you first do these two critical things:
You know who you are
This means you have a clear sense of who YOU are – without all of the societal programing and expectations that we all get from out parents, family and culture. So often we don’t even question our beliefs and biases and just assume they are true and accurate without even considering that perhaps they did not even originate from us in the first place!
I invite you to examine what you believe.
Consider where those beliefs even come from. Are they from you can your gut and inner knowing or perhaps from the outside world?
Living a life that is not directed from our soul’s wisdom and voice is one that is frustrating, unfulfilling and empty.
The first step of health requires we are strong and solid in body, mind and spirit and this is where we start!
Live in alignment
The next step is to be sure that your mind, emotions, feelings and beliefs are in line with your body, energy and spirit and this means living according to your personal values and priorities and the things you say are important to you. You will know what they are if you get still and ask your heart.
You see, you can do all the “right” things, such as:
- Follow a disciplined, well-designed and personalized workout program
- Consume a clean, fresh, natural and pure diet customized for you and your unique needs
- Do things that make you happy and keep fun a priority in your life
- Spend regular time in nature (and unplugged!)
…and even have what seems to be a “perfect” life on the outside with the perfect body, house, car, job, kids…or whatever…but until you get your mind right and address your Emotional Fitness you will never be able to sustain it and I can tell you, it won’t be that much fun either!
Emotional Fitness encompasses a lot, but for me some of the key components include:
- Knowing who you are and being at peace with it
- Living a life in a way that is consistent with your personal values and what’s really important to you
- Understanding what is driving you and your behavior
- Addressing your shadow self and working on bringing it into your conscious awareness
- Thinking in a way that supports you and your life and not scaring yourself, criticizing yourself, “shoulding” yourself or otherwise limiting yourself
- Examining your beliefs and questioning if they are “true”
- Being open-minded, humble and always willing to learn and grow
- Being responsible for the energy we bring to the world
- Not allowing ourselves to play victim or the blame game – either on others, our conditions, circumstances, genes, etc…
- Taking charge of what we focus on and where we put our attention, time and money
- Staying flexible and trusting to the process of life
- Being able to express our needs and desires with respect and love
Once we get these things down, we can then utilize the habits, tools and techniques needed that will enable us to live in accordance with these components. If not, most likely you will continue to spin your wheels, your results will not last very long, you will always feel like it’s “hard” or a struggle and you will even feel miserable, deprived, a loss of freedom and/or at the very least unfulfilled at a gut level.
Well I’m here to let you know the good news: There is a better way – and it’s A LOT easier than you think and I know because I’ve lived it myself.
That’s why my passion – my mission – is to help share what I’ve learned to help others struggling with the same issues by creating products, eBooks, classes and my podcast, Awakening Aphrodite, that address these issues and help share the habits, techniques and tools I’ve discovered to harmonize them.
I hope this help open your mind as to what “holistic” health and fitness is really about and I would love to connect with you and hope to meet you in person one day and hear your story. I know we can learn from each other and we might even have some fun along the way. I sure would be honored to share this crazy this crazy thing called Life with you!