Let me introduce you to my new favorite nutrient: RED LIGHT!
We can get so caught up in the day to day busyness of the world and “living in our heads” that we often forget about the fact that we are pure energy at our core. We both produce energy and we are affected by energy on a daily basis – but I get it – it’s so easy to forget it, because well, we can’t actually see it!
We need to remember that humans evolved to live in light.
Light is VITAL to our well being and has directly affects our biology.
These days, with all the technology that we are exposed to plus the long working hours, we end up spending most of our time in an indoor setting, exposed to artificial light. As a result, we have abandoned the hours of exposure to the many natural light wavelengths that are necessary for our health including proper cell signaling, hormonal function, neurotransmitters, etc that keep us feeling good and functioning well.
All light falls on a spectrum. Visible light ranges from 400 -700 nm. When it comes to red light therapy, the range is usually between 600 – 800 nm. This can be considered the sweet spot of light therapy! Just like plants convert light into chemical energy with the photosynthesis process, our body takes red light and turns it into cellular energy (ATP). ATP is the energy currency of our body – when you don’t have sufficient ATP, you feel weak and lifeless.
This is why red light therapy is so effective, because it gives your body more energy molecules to work with. When your body has more ATP available it can focus on rejuvenating processes. These includes repairing your skin, reducing inflammation, and speeding up much needed recovery.
Some benefits of red light therapy include:
- Stimulating the production of collagen and elastin which is crucial for bone health, joint strength and promote hair and skin growth and vitality.
- Faster healing: full-spectrum and natural and near infrared light helps patients with bone injuries and grafts recover faster, with less pain.
- Increases bone density in age-related osteoporosis studies.
- Reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and helps fade acne.
- Improving the appearance of stretch marks.
- Increasing blood circulation.
- Evening out skin complexion.
- Speeding up workout recovery and electorates muscle repair.
- Reducing inflammation.
- Reducing joint pain and arthritis symptoms.
- Boosts your bone health.
- Improving athletic performance.
- Speeding up wound healing.
- Reducing symptoms of skin conditions, such as acne, rosacea, and eczema.
- Enhances brain health
*even been reported to reduce cellulite and increase hair growth!
It might be hard to believe that something so simple and natural as ensuring you get regular exposure to direct, unfiltered, full-spectrum light and sunlight (especially in the morning) can enhance SO MANY important aspects of your health, but it’s true!
I encourage you to start including regular daily exposure of your skin to natural light – just as you do eating fresh veggies and moving your body…yes, it’s that important! LIGHT IS A NUTRIENT! 🙂
What’s more important than your health? How you feel directly affects the quality and experience of your entire life! Not to mention, it’s a natural alternative to painkillers and steroid skin creams – with no side-effects and nasty chemicals!
Personally, I’ve had a lot of success with exposing myself to both more natural light during the day (especially in the morning) and using select red light therapy devices like my blue-blocking glasses and red night lights after dusk and at night (See more of my favs on my social media like Instagram and Facebook!)